Your Bereavement Supporter will work alongside you, listening and helping you work through your grief in your own way, on a one to one basis. Your Bereavement Supporter is a volunteer who has undergone extensive training.
Each session will last about an hour and will continue for an average of 6 sessions. Support can be face to face and/or telephone/Zoom, depending on what works for you.
Anything you say is kept in the strictest confidence, unless someone’s safety is at risk.
Get in touch
Different ways people react to bereavement
- Disbelief or denial – carrying on as if nothing has happened
- Shock or numbness
- Difficulty in sleeping, loss of appetite, mood swings, lack of concentration, exhaustion, feeling anxious or depressed
- Anger – at the world, a specific person, God or even the person who has died
- Imagining you still see or hear the person who has died
- Guilt – feeling that you could have done more or prevented the death
Things that can help
- Look after yourself – take time out to sleep, rest, think and be with people you are close to
- Talk about your feelings and what has happened
- Try to keep your life as normal as possible after the acute grief
- Tell people what you need
- Children experience similar feelings, so let them talk about their emotions and express themselves creatively
- It helps your child to go back to school. Let them keep up with their other activities and do let their teacher know what has happened.
- Accidents are more common after severe stress, so be careful
Beareavement Support Groups
If you are experiencing grief and loss and would like to connect with others who have/are undergoing a similar experience, we would like to invite you to our Bereavement Cafe.
It’s held on the first Friday of every month at 6.30pm at All Saints Church, Commercial Road, Newtown.
Tea, coffee and cake available! Although the meeting is in a church, we welcome people of all faiths and none.
If you are experiencing grief and loss from suicide bereavement and would like to connect with others who are expeiencing something similar we would like to invite you to our meetup.
The group is held monthly at venues in the mid and north of Powys, alternating each month.